Make it in Michigan
You can easily access talent and natural resources from Michigan. The Great Lakes State borders 20 percent of the world’s freshwater, facilitating the transport of raw materials and products, as well as supporting water-dependent industries, such as food and beverage processing, textiles and automotive manufacturing.
Sell it Everywhere
Our southwest Michigan territory is ideally located between two major markets, Detroit and Chicago. From here, you can reach 50 million consumers in 15 states and Ontario, Canada, easily within a day’s drive on one of many interstates or via rail.See quality industrial sites Learn about our Economic Development incentive (2022)
Let’s Do It
Our operating company, Indiana Michigan Power (I&M), provides electricity to 46 cities in six counties in southwestern Michigan. Join companies such as Whirlpool, Minute Maid and American Axle, who have found success in Michigan. Let us show you how to leverage the best Michigan has to offer.
Contact Shelley Klug, CEcD, Manager of Economic and Business Development
- I bring extensive knowledge of the South Bend – Elkhart region and Southwest Michigan, where I’ve helped grow businesses for nearly two decades.
- As business development manager for Cornerstone Alliance and for the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, I connected companies to communities, local partners, public services and resources. As the executive director for the Southwestern Michigan Economic Growth Alliance, I developed programs for business retention and expansion, business attraction, and new marketing strategies. I also managed the Berrien County Manufacturers Council and the Bertrand Crossing Industrial Park Association.
- A certified economic developer (CEcD) through the International Economic Development Council and an economic development finance professional, it is an honor and privilege to serve on several economic development-related boards and committees, and I love getting hands-on experiences in the region where I live.
Lay of the Land
I&M serves over 18,000 commercial and industrial customers in The Great Lakes State.
Is your location served by AEP?
Key Industries in Michigan
Energy & Chemicals
Food & Beverage
Plastics & Rubber
Join us in Michigan, which ranks fourth in the nation for engineering graduates and in the top 10 for the skilled trades workers. Here are other big reasons to grow with us in Michigan.
Michigan is ranked #1 in the nation for concentration of engineers and #1 for concentration of commercial and industrial designers!
Michigan is home to 383 medical device firms including Stryker in Kalamazoo.
Michigan's southwest region has five times more workers in the medical device sector than the U.S. average.
Michigan does not have an inventory tax or personal property tax on machinery and equipment. Energy used or consumed for an industrial processing activity is sales tax exempt.
Michigan is the #1 state for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) jobs growth over 5 years (Global Business Alliance 2021).
Michigan is #4 in the nation for manufacturing employment (Business Facilities 2021)
Michigan is within 500 miles of nearly half the U.S. and Canadian population and commerce centers and fronts 20 percent of the globe's freshwater.
Power in Michigan
I&M’s distribution and transmission services can accommodate large industrial users. We bring energy solutions to meet your biggest challenges. Here’s how we help to power your success.
Economic Development Incentives
Our Economic Development Rider, based on actual demand and load factor criteria, can provide a credit equal to $12.00 per kilowatt for a period of up to 60 consecutive months. It is available to new or existing customers who:
- will be adding at least 300 kW of new load,
- receive an incentive from a state or local organization, and
- are in a competitive situation where the EDR is a deciding factor in the site location process.
Energy Efficiency Programs and Incentives
We provide a wide variety of tools to help you manage your energy consumption. Learn more about I&M’s Energy Efficiency Programs and Rebates.
Robust Transmission Capacity
Our power network is built to support large industrial users. Plus, we can help with design, build and maintenance services for customer-owned facilities.
We offer advisory services for industrial process improvements, renewable generation and more. Our energy capabilities can be customized for your needs.More energy solutions